Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Eden Project and Wildworks

I went to the Eden Project on Tuesday 4th November to attend a workshop with Sue Hill from 'Wildworks'.


When we arrived there was time to explore...


This is the view from the entrance as you start to walk down towards the biomes. I have been exploring the geometry and growth patterns in nature and considering how I can apply them to my work so the biomes were very relevant.


The core building also illustrates these ideas, the roof is based on the structure of a sunflower.




This is inside the tropical biome - my camera steamed up!



Unfortunately I did not get all the details of what they are but I am really drawn to them. I like the way they are grouped, in varying shapes and sizes but all facing the same way. I also like the marks and expressions of the faces. I would like to explore these ideas more.



Sue then gave a talk about her work as part of Wildworks, an international theatre company based in Cornwall.

Sue focused on issues of how the world is changing, whether though climate, politics or development. She challenged us to think about how people around the world engage with their surroundings and what they value. She gave an example of nomads she had met who, although they had very little possessions did not consider themselves poor at all.

This was our challenge...

'You are leaving home. You don't know if you will ever return. You are part of an exodus into the unknown future. Pack a small, portable box or suitcase. Choose seven things that you think will be essential, or precious to you. You may choose intimate things that tell your story, that remind you who you are. You may choose things that without which your life would be unbearable. Think quickly; you don't have much time. Pack lightly, you are a nomad now. We are leaving...'


And here are some responses...



Rupert designed gadgets that he thought would help him in the new world based on old fashioned objects, for example an umbrella that could be turned into a shelter.



I chose basil seeds, as a symbol of new growth, and good food. The knitting needles and wool had a few meanings, to be used separately as tools, for me to knit with, as a skill to pass on to others, and as reminder for me of friends and family. I also chose a blanket for warmth, a photo of my mum, moisturiser and a radio for communication.





These matches each represent a value such as creativity, wisdom and hope, which Patrick wanted to take with him.

Harriet had the complete works of Jane Austen as well as flower seeds and an empty notebook.

Laura packed very practically, as if she were going away for the weekend. She was the only one to select a passport and money.

The small white bowl is an example of functional objects having a separate meaning. Brian explained that it had been made by his wife, he also thought it might help people in the future world learn to throw pots too.

Nearly everyone chose to pack photos of family and friends. There were some functional items such as knives, seeds, toothbrushes, sewing kits, blankets and scarves, and cosmetics. Even the objects that were functional usually had another meaning to the individual, for example they were given to them as a gift or reminded them of people and places.

The need to record events seemed to be important, people chose sketchbooks, pens and cameras.

When told they could only take one thing it tended to be an impractical, non functional item that had associations of friends and family.

After discussing what we had bought Sue asked us to use the ideas to create a model of the future world in a cardboard box. (I don't have any pictures of the results but hopefully someone else will post some).

No comments: