Robin Hopper
A & C Black, London, 2000
I found this book in the library just as I was beginning to think about functional objects and my work last weekend and it has been very useful and inspiring. I have not yet read the whole book so it may appear again.
This is the first quote that caught my attention...
"Through looking at objects from the past, finding out a little of their genesis and the needs of their makers, we may establish the similarities and differences of thought between those cultures we are attracted to and our own work. Through an awareness of form and the forces that both create it and control it and its proportions, we may find the distinct direction that each individual potter must travel." (Hopper 2000:10)
Hopper explores the evolution of ceramic forms in different cultures, climates and countries. For example in cultures where the use of tables was common, objects tended to have flat bases and if objects were hung from hooks or branches they often had pointed bases.
The following images are all footed forms, part of their evolution was in cultures where objects were placed directly on the ground and feet were developed for stability (Hopper 2000:16).
Drinking vessels developed from cupped hands and natural forms such as shells or horns, which again had feet attached for stability. Hopper thinks that this feature led to the stemmed drinking vessels that we recognise today (Hopper 2000:20). I think this will be an interesting area to explore.






Here are a few other images from the book...
Funerary vase and cover, stoneware. Yuan Dynasty, 12th-13th century A.D, ChinaThe tall shape, unusual structure and elaborate decoration of this vase is interesting as it is very different to the other more rounded forms in the book.

Collared stone water jar, Paros, Cycladic Islands, Greece, 3200-2700 B.C
I choose this image as it represents the contemporary feel of many of the ancient artefacts in the book.
This is another example of form evolution in vessels that were to be placed directly on the ground. It has a rounded base so it can be tipped or rolled easily, they would be placed in a textile or ceramic ring. (Hopper 2000:16)
This is another example of form evolution in vessels that were to be placed directly on the ground. It has a rounded base so it can be tipped or rolled easily, they would be placed in a textile or ceramic ring. (Hopper 2000:16)I have been thinking about how I could include textiles in my work and this seems like an interesting idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment