I read this article in Crafts magazine after writing about Crafting Beauty and think the contrast between the two is really interesting.
In the article Glenn Adamson discusses how the concept of the work is now what is focused on rather than the skills involved. Adamson writes "the one thing that seems to bind the majority of contemporary art together is the lack of skill required to create it". Although this sounds negative he does give examples of artists who have embraced the label 'sloppy craft' successfully.

Adamson also discusses why we value craft objects, is it because we understand and value the skills involved? Many of the artists in Crafting Beauty had been honoured as Living National Treasures because of the skills and techniques they had developed.
Or is it, he argues, that a key part of crafts value is it's irregularity and human character? He writes that "In this frame of mind we might care less for an immaculate object like a Fabergé egg than someone's first pinchpot or a knitted jumper made for a grandchild".
This caught my attention as I have been thinking about why knitting often creates strong emotional attachments. It is a skill that has to be learnt, usually by being shown by someone else - a passing on of skills. It also takes time and patience to create objects, does this mean that they are valued more when they are finished, and valued more as gifts?
These two posts have made me consider where I would position my work. I am interested in developing techniques and showing skill in making, yet I want my work to retain the values of craft. (I think that discussion is for another post!)
No comments:
Post a Comment