Crichton-Miller, Emma. 2005.
‘Gold Finger’
Crafts May/June 2005.
(need to get page numbers)
I think I will focus on ceramics for my critical review, however it is still valuable to look at how other designer-makers are using digital technologies and equally importantly, their attitude towards it.
Emma Crichton-Miller writes about David Goodwin who creates complex rings using rapid prototyping and casting in gold. Miller writes that Goodwin looks at making from a design perspective. Goodwin says that
“What excites me is experimenting through drawing with the different iterations of an idea. I don’t play with materials - how it’s made doesn’t matter to me”
He goes on to say “If you are led by technique you never break barriers” however he does clarify this by acknowledging that the making process may force him to change designs.
Crichton-Miller writes that “Goodwin’s ambition is to pare away human intervention even more”.
Reading the article I began to feel that Goodwin was distancing himself from being associated with craft (maybe because he seems uninterested in ‘playing’ with materials) however he does add that
“modelling something in a 3D environment, your hand on the mouse, is actually in itself a craft”
Saturday, 27 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment