I have decided to look at craft and digital technologies for my critical review, I think this will complement my practical work well.
I have decided to frame my writing using the following question...
Do digital technologies transform the engagement of the maker with the process of craft?
Firstly I need to define my definition of the 'craft process', this will probably form part of the introduction. I think this could be difficult as though I have read a lot of thoughts on this subject from other people and forming my own in a clear and concise way will be a challenge.
Secondly, I am deciding whether to focus on ceramics or crafts as a whole. Ceramics relationship to digital technology is interesting as the actual ceramic material is not formed by digital processes, for example it cannot be laser cut or milled like wood (to my limited knowledge!). Therefore another process must come in between. In my case, after rapid prototyping my digitally generated forms I created plaster moulds from them for slip casting. The mould making process goes someway to undo the perfection of the digital form, introducing pour holes and seam lines. I can clean these up well after casting, using a sponge when the clay is still soft, then sandpaper when it is dry, though this can also alter the shape despite my best efforts. I have just put my first set of forms in the kiln, the heat may well distort them slightly, they may even explode! I think this illustrates the challenges that combining digital technologies and ceramics provides which could be good to focus on and write about. However, there are many ways that crafts as a whole is using digital technology, would I be missing some important points if I exclude other disciplines?
Whether I choose to focus on ceramics or not I think I will begin by reflecting briefly on the historical context of technologies changing craft processes.
I was going to divide the main body of text into chapters of 'what does digital technology enable the maker to do' (that they could not before), 'what are the limitations and problems with using digital technology' and lastly 'ways of engaging with the possibilities and limitations'. However, on reflection I think these chapters would break up the writing awkwardly and make key points seem disjointed.
Here are a few things for me to consider...
What is my definition of the craft process?
Is it still craft if using digital technolgies? (I think so but I will look at other people's opinions)
How does access to digital technolgies affect a makers engagement with them?
I want to find new work that is being made using craft and digital processes...
Tuesday, 2 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment