Friday, 26 December 2008

Michael Eden Images

EDEN, Michael 2007
Eden Ceramics
Available at http://www.edenceramics.co.uk/project.html (accessed 26/12/08)





I have selected these images from Michael Eden's website to examine how he is using both traditional craft techniques and digital technologies. There was not a lot of information about the individual images but they were numbered in order and the process used was noted. He has a research blog which I will investigate next.

These images were taken from Project 1, in which he investigated the relationship between the exterior and interior spaces of a vessel form.

1. This shows a screen shot of his 'Torus' design on Rhino. I also like to use screen shots to capture the progress of my work on the computer.

2. A 3D rendering on Rhino of the Torus.

3. One of a series of thrown versions in white earthenware of the torus designed on Rhino. So at this stage he was designing the forms on the computer and then translating them into a physical state using a traditional pottery technique. Throwing has created an accurate interpretation of the computer design. I wonder if he had this technique in mind whilst he was designing and knew it would be able to be thrown, or if he designed and then looked for a technique?

4. Another thrown piece, this time with a black 'chrome' glaze. The glaze makes it look more like glass or metal than ceramic, I wonder if this was deliberate? If so it adds to my collection of ceramicists for and against ceramics imitating other materials.

5. CNC milled model for producing a slip casting mould. The model has been sanded with wet & dry paper to produce a smooth surface. This illustrates his move from using digital technology purely to design form to using it produce a physical object.
I need to choose more images that show the difference in Eden's work before and after he started using digital technologies.

No comments: