Samplers like the ones shown below include many elements I would like to include in my poster...
They are nearly always dated, or with the persons age, which I think it would be good to have as manifestos change over time, or even day to day. They include the name of who made it, and this is my manifesto and so needs my name on it.
Some samplers just have numbers and the alphabet but many have writing, often a bible verse. This is interesting as the sampler seems to be framed around this statement of belief, which is probably what I want for my manifesto.
Samplers usually include images, sometimes symbolic or important to the maker. I could use images of my work, maybe the wireframes from 3ds max or sketches for future ideas.
Samplers are used to develop and document the skill of the maker, this seems appropriate to the way I work, learning new techniques and recording what I am doing.
I am thinking about creating this in Illustrator and then cutting or engraving it into a suitable material.
I have found a few images of samplers...
1. Sampler by Elizabeth Dawson, America 1833
Needlework, An Illustrated History
Edited by Harriet Bridgeman and Elizabeth Drury
Paddington Press Ltd, New York and London, 1978
2. Detail of the eighteenth-century white work sampler
The Embroiderers Guild Practical Library, Making Samplers
A David and Charles Book, E.G. Enterprises, 1994
I choose this image as it shows a sampler in just one colour, this would be suitable for my manifesto as I could use one material.
3. The Lord’s Prayer and the Creed sampler, England, worked by Mary Lucas in 1726
The Embroiderers Guild Practical Library, Making Samplers
David and Charles Book, E.G. Enterprises, 1994
4. English Band Sampler dated 1680
The Embroiderers Guild Practical Library, Making Samplers
A David and Charles Book, E.G. Enterprises, 1994




No comments:
Post a Comment